William's life as a Night Watchman would have been frought with
danger and trouble. He would have suffered derision from his
fellow convicts for having "gone over to the other side", but there
is ample evidence that the task of the Night Watch was vital to
keep some semblance of order in a colony that was nearing
starvation and anarchy. Governor Phillip issued his order on 7
August 1789 through the Judge Advocate, David Collins RN.
There is also a great deal of evidence that the military protested
at being subjected to questioning, search and reporting of their
nefarious activities after dark. The soldiers of the early settlement
were not above theft and pilfering and their power was such that
within three months the Governor was obliged to issue an
amendment to his Night Watch proclamation which directed the
members of the Night Watch not to stop any soldier "unless he is
found in a Hut, or committing any unlawful act.." (3).
By the time William married, he was being "paid" a very good
ration known as the Free Ration which included half a pint of
spirits every Saturday and "if their diligence may deserve farther
notice, the Magistrates will have an eye to them and recommend
them to other indulgences." (3). William was therefore a pretty
good catch as a husband and William and his wife Mary (see next
chapter) proved to be a very settled and faithful pair.
In November 1789 a convict at the end of his time named James Ruse was granted farming land by the Governor at Rose Hill . Ruse's prior knowledge of farming made
him a very valuable person to the colony and it is understood that Ruse trained many convicts in farming techniques and husbandry on his Experiment Farm. There is
some support for the idea that two of the convicts he trained were Matthew Everingham and William Hubbard who had both known Ruse when all three were
transported together on the Scarborough (5). Alternatively, they may also have been trained by Henry Edward Dodd at the same farm (6).
In July of 1791 Everingham, Hubbard and twelve other convicts, presumably all free by servitude, were given land grants at an area known as The Ponds. Today this
area is in Telopea, just a couple of kilometeres from Parramatta.